Topic: Can Math Be Taught?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 16, 2002 6:36 PM

Kazimierz Wiesak

Re: Can Math Be Taught?

At 10:29 AM 10/15/02 -0500, Jerry Uhl wrote:
>I like the questiion:
>
>But I'd like to focus it on the students by asking"
>Can math be learned?

It can be interesting that, for example, in my native Polish language we
have only one word for both "learn" and "teach". If there is any doubt we
simply add "myself", "students", etc. You could say that we say "making
students learn" instead of a separate word "teach". Maybe we are
linguistically correct? ;)

When someone asks "What do you do" you could answer "I make (or help)
students learn" instead of "I teach".
This may change a perception of your own role in the classroom.
If you could find some better word between "help" and "make" then we
would get an almost ideal description of what teachers do.

Kaz

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.