Topic: Who Is Responsible for Student Achievement?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 18, 2012 2:09 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Who Is Responsible for Student Achievement?

Let's leave aside for the moment the issue of whether teachers understand the relationship of memory to mathematics and/or reflect that relationship poorly to their students.

Students ARE NOT passing tests by memory. Indeed, students are doing very poorly on tests, which this thread owes its existence to. But some students do pass tests and some of those even do well. Thus, if there is any truth to the idea of a "memory poser" they would have to be in that smaller set of students that pass tests. I have found no indication of this. In fact, one of the reasons that students fail tests is not that they memorize but that they only memorize and even then they memorize poorly. I just wanted to clarify that if you go into an authentic mathematics test and memory is all you got then fail you will.

Regarding concepts. You don't teach concepts, you experience them. Concepts (and theory) are simply how we share those thought experiences. Some concepts embody those experiences in logic more nicely than others but if the student and teacher are not having those same experiences (the epiphanetic moments) then the student is failing.

Regarding word problems involving apples and trains. If the student cannot do math in that freakedly simple context then the student is seriously failing. Not much more needs to be said about that.

Memory + Inference + Interest

Bidda Badda Boom

Bob Hansen