Topic: AMATYC conference attachments- New challenges to math departments and need to improve math success
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 2, 2012 1:44 PM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: AMATYC conference attachments- New challenges to math departments and need to improve math success
att1.html (9.0 K)

The commercial, below, seems to be misusing the heading of "AMATYC conference attachments."

Also, a cursory scan of the two attachments seems to indicate that Nolting's perception of "mathematics" is symptomatic of why most American students have difficulty with curricular mathematics ... so generating an adult population over half of whom suffer from math-distress.

Traditionally, American curricular mathematics instruction serves primarily to try to temporarily train students to perform as directed by teachers and whatever learning media they use ... rather than to develop students' lasting functional personal mathematical intelligence. Mathematical comprehension is NOT a matter of temporarily learning data-processing routines or verbiage. It is a matter of abstracting concepts, drawing conclusions, and developing fluencies ... all through personal exercise of mathematical common sense.

I see no evidence that Nolting has the foggiest idea of what mathematical comprehension/intelligence is all about, or its crucial role in students' personal mathematical development. [I do hope to learn that my initial impression is very wrong.]

Cordially,
Clyde