Topic: clearing a variable with a dummy subscript
Replies: 5   Last Post: May 21, 2012 5:59 AM

Albert Retey

Re: clearing a variable with a dummy subscript

Am 18.05.2012 11:27, schrieb Andre Hautot:
> Hi !
> Here is something very simple I don't understand :
> f[x_] := x; f[2] (*A function*)
> 2
> Clear[f]; f[2] (*The same perfectly cleared as expected*)
> f[2]
> Subscript[u, k_] := k; Subscript[u, 2] (*u with subscript k_
> entered via the palette*)
> 2
> Clear[u]; Subscript[u, 2] (*I found no way to clear u; a
> suggestion ?)
> 2

Subscript[u, k_] =.

or (if you don't have other definitions for Subscript you want to keep):

the deeper reason is that this rule is stored in the DownValues of

Subscript[u, k_] := k;

What you probably want to do is to store it as an UpValue to u instead
of a DownValue of Subscript:

u /: Subscript[u, k_] := k

now you can get rid of the definition as expected: