Topic: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Replies: 25   Last Post: Jun 25, 2012 12:46 AM

quasi

Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 05:21:37 -0700 (PDT), ahum
<pierre.franckx@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, June 22, 2012 12:24:54 PM UTC+2, quasi wrote:
>> ahum wrote:
>>

>> >At this moment I'm studying IT(programming)in eveningschool.
>> >I will obtain a limited degree (one could compare it to a
>> >bachelor, but it isn't). This could lead to a full bachelor
>> >degree at a university.
>> >
>> >I would like to refresh my mathematical skills trough
>> >selfstudy, I would like to study my highschool maths but have
>> >trouble finding books or courses which contain the full proofs
>> >of the subjects. I have found many excellent books on algebra,
>> >calculus, geometry and others, but it is al applied, and no
>> >mathematical proofs whatsoever. And I really want these proofs,
>> >because I want to fully grasp and understand what I'm doing
>> >(which sounds obvious).
>> >
>> >Can you help me find the courses or books I need? I'm of
>> >course prepared to pay the price for books needed to increase
>> >my knowledge and skills.

>> I think some of the books published by
>>
>> "Art of Problem Solving" (AoPS)
>>
>> would match your objectives.
>>
>> I especially recommend these:
>>
>> Precalculus
>> by Richard Rusczyk
>>
>> Intermediate Counting and Probability
>> by David Patrick
>>
>> Here's a link to their online bookstore:
>>
>> <http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/alltitles.php?#AoPStexts>
>>

>These books look indeed very interesting. And they include all
>necessary proofs - I'm sorry for asking, but the excerpts show
>only exercises. Thanks for answering anyway. Best regards.

I don't have the books at hand, but my memory is that they
are more rigorous than is typical at that level.

For both of the books I recommended, while the styles are
informal (not definition, theorem style), results are proved,
not just stated.

The exercises are very well chosen and span a wide range,
from routine to very challenging.

quasi

Date Subject Author
6/22/12
Read books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
William Elliot
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Graham Cooper
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Michael Stemper
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
quasi
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
quasi
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
amzoti
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Porky Pig Jr
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/24/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Porky Pig Jr
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
KBH
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/25/12