Topic: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Replies: 25   Last Post: Jun 25, 2012 12:46 AM

ahum

Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs

On Friday, June 22, 2012 7:27:22 PM UTC+2, amzoti wrote:
> On Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:44:55 PM UTC-7, ahum wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > At this moment I'm studying IT(programming)in eveningschool. I will obtain a limited degree (one could compare it to a bachelor, but it isn't). This could lead to a full bachelor degree at a university.
> > I would like to refresh my mathematical skills trough selfstudy, I would like to study my highschool maths but have trouble finding books or courses which contain the full proofs of the subjects. I have found many excellent books on algebra, calculus, geometry and others, but it is al applied, and no mathematical proofs whatsoever. And I really want these proofs, because I want to fully grasp and understand what I'm doing (which sounds obvious).
> > Can you help me find the courses or books I need? I'm of course prepared to pay the price for books needed to increase my knowledge and skills.
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Pierre

> Is this what you are looking for?
>
> 1. How to Read and Do Proofs: An Introduction to Mathematical Thought Processes [Paperback] Daniel Solow (Author)
> 2. How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method (Princeton Science Library) [Paperback] G. Polya (Author)
> 3. The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs, Third Edition: An Introduction to Mathematical Proofs [Paperback] Antonella Cupillari (Author)
> 4. Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics (2nd Edition) [Hardcover] Gary Chartrand (Author), Albert D. Polimeni (Author), Ping Zhang (Author)
> 5. A Book of Abstract Algebra: Second Edition (Dover Books on Mathematics) [Paperback] Charles C Pinter (Author)
> 6. How to Prove It: A Structured Approach [Paperback], Daniel J. Velleman
>
> If not, I think you need to find older titles that actually contain proofs as many recent books are about mechanics of getting answers due to many factors in society.
>
> You can search out older books and if you tell which areas of mathematics, we could make recommendations as you question is a bit ill-posed.
>
> HTH

Hi, looks interesting indeed.

On Friday, June 22, 2012 7:27:22 PM UTC+2, amzoti wrote:
> On Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:44:55 PM UTC-7, ahum wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > At this moment I'm studying IT(programming)in eveningschool. I will obtain a limited degree (one could compare it to a bachelor, but it isn't). This could lead to a full bachelor degree at a university.
> > I would like to refresh my mathematical skills trough selfstudy, I would like to study my highschool maths but have trouble finding books or courses which contain the full proofs of the subjects. I have found many excellent books on algebra, calculus, geometry and others, but it is al applied, and no mathematical proofs whatsoever. And I really want these proofs, because I want to fully grasp and understand what I'm doing (which sounds obvious).
> > Can you help me find the courses or books I need? I'm of course prepared to pay the price for books needed to increase my knowledge and skills.
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Pierre

> Is this what you are looking for?
>
> 1. How to Read and Do Proofs: An Introduction to Mathematical Thought Processes [Paperback] Daniel Solow (Author)
> 2. How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method (Princeton Science Library) [Paperback] G. Polya (Author)
> 3. The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs, Third Edition: An Introduction to Mathematical Proofs [Paperback] Antonella Cupillari (Author)
> 4. Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics (2nd Edition) [Hardcover] Gary Chartrand (Author), Albert D. Polimeni (Author), Ping Zhang (Author)
> 5. A Book of Abstract Algebra: Second Edition (Dover Books on Mathematics) [Paperback] Charles C Pinter (Author)
> 6. How to Prove It: A Structured Approach [Paperback], Daniel J. Velleman
>
> If not, I think you need to find older titles that actually contain proofs as many recent books are about mechanics of getting answers due to many factors in society.
>
> You can search out older books and if you tell which areas of mathematics, we could make recommendations as you question is a bit ill-posed.
>
> HTH

Well, these books look interesting anyway, the book about algebra is spot-on! I apologize for being unclear, but having received the tip of the "AoPs" books, I think I'm able to reformulate my question: I would like to study the following subjects: counting, number theory, geometry, prealgebra, algebra, precalculus and calculus, including all the proofs that are part of these subjects. So I'm talking about the level being thaught to 12-18 year olds (I guess this is highschool? Over here we talk about the humanities) I have access to books who treath about this subject, but they are lacking formal proofs. The important thing to me is the proofs, as I really want to grasp what I'm doing (which I didn't when being at the humanities).
Thank you so much
Pierre

Date Subject Author
6/22/12
Read books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
William Elliot
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Graham Cooper
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Michael Stemper
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
quasi
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
quasi
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
amzoti
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Porky Pig Jr
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/24/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Porky Pig Jr
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
KBH
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/25/12