Topic: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Replies: 41   Last Post: Jul 11, 2012 12:56 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?

Why would I take a task that is so simple that we take it for granted and simplify it for my son? Arithmetic can't be simplified it is already simple. It is also tedious and that is why we have calculators, but it is still very simple. It is so simple that most of us can't even recall when we learned it, like the alphabet, phonics and how to count. Shouldn't the question be "Why do schools fail to teach something so simple?" or "Why do some kids have problems with something so simple?"

How does making school more simple help?

Bob Hansen

On Jun 25, 2012, at 2:53 AM, Jonathan Crabtree <sendtojonathan@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> In Australia more students than ever leave school without basic numeracy skills.
>
> So if YOU were starting from scratch, how would you simplify arithmetic?
>
> For the sake of the question, we'll assume:
> ten numerals 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> four operations + - x ÷
> equality sign =
>
> I am not seeking pedagogical replies or contributions. Instead how can arithmetic ITSELF be made simpler?

Date Subject Author
6/25/12
Read How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Haim
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Haim
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Paul A. Tanner III
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Domenico Rosa
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Haim
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/27/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Cool Jessica
6/27/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
GS Chandy
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Wayne Bishop
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Paul A. Tanner III
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Domenico Rosa
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
6/30/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
6/30/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Wayne Bishop
6/30/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
7/1/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
7/3/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Domus
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
James Elander
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
7/6/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
7/8/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
7/10/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
7/11/12