Topic: A novel with some math in it?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Jul 12, 2012 11:04 AM

Lynne Ipina

RE: A novel with some math in it?

What about "Anathem": http://www.amazon.com/Anathem-Neal-Stephenson/dp/0061474096. There is the Math fiction site in case you don't know this: http://kasmana.people.cofc.edu/MATHFICT/all.ph

Lynne
From: owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org [owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org] on behalf of Seese, Lillian M. [LSeese@stlcc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:36 AM
To: owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org
Subject: A novel with some math in it?

Can anyone provide me with some advice? I am in a book club where everyone but me is either an English teacher or a librarian. It is my turn to recommend a novel for us to read. A year ago I chose "The Housekeeper and the Professor" (by Yoko Ogawa) which had just enough math in it to keep everyone interested. I'd love to come up with a book that has a little math in it again this year, but I'm coming up empty handed. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Lillian Seese
Professor of Mathematics
St. Louis Community College at Meramec
11333 Big Bend Blvd. Kirkwood MO 63122