Topic: Solomon Garfunkel on Common Core Standards
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jul 30, 2012 8:36 PM

kirby urner

Re: Solomon Garfunkel on Common Core Standards

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Domenico Rosa <DRosa@post.edu> wrote:
> The Aug. 2012 NOTICES of the AMS contains Solomon Garfunkel's Opnion piece "What's a Math Educator to Do?"
>
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/noti877
>
> I did a double take when I read the second sentence: "I truly think that the Common Core Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) are a disaster."
>
> As I read on, it turns out that he "was actually on the writing team for CCSSM," will retrain teachers, will "be involved with the implementation of CCSSM," "will work with assessment consortia," "will sit on advisory boards for curriculum projects," etc.
>
> It turns out that the latest rubbish in mathematics education is being promoted by many of the same people (e.g. Steven Leinwand) who are responsible for the "standards" and "reform math" disaster.

I agree that CCSSM is insipid / vapid, reflective of the mediocre /
inferior mindset of so many in the ed biz.

My approach is to come back with STEM, another buzzword, and show how
STEM is actually out of step with CCSSM if done right, because it
synchronizes mathematics with science, technology and engineering in
ways the CCSSM does not attempt, being the product of lazy minds.

STEM means knowing how icosahedral numbers relate to virology and
crystallography, and it means doing some programming.

I'm starting a STEM course for teens tomorrow, just a week long. I
call it Martian Math, but that's just a way to get around the fact
that Earthlings are incompetent for the most part. I show them what
we learned in the 1970s, about using the tetrahedron as a unit of
volume. Makes closest packing of spheres ala CCP come much easier, to
have those lattice volumes be 1 and 4.

Then they'll go back to their regular schools and cause trouble,
because Martian Math gets no respect from regular schools. That's OK.
The invasion proceeds without their help, and the historical record
makes it clear how up hill our battle really was. My gig is for
Saturday Academy, funded by Silicon Forest and others. We know how
inferior the CCSSM really is and we let students know they should
question so-called "authorities". We do, and encounter little
effective resistance. The Earthlings are weak.

Kirby