Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 9, 2012 7:55 PM

Paul A. Foerster

Re: [ap-calculus] I have an exchange student from China. How can I help him?

Elizabeth, et al. -

I'm not sure that this information will be helpful to you, but here goes

At the AP Annual Conference in Orlando last month I met eight teachers
from Beijing. One is Chunyan Liu, the mathematics coordinator for the High
School Affiliated to Beijing Normal University. Her email that she gave me

You might want to email her for suggestions about your student from China.

Best wishes to you and your students as you embark on a new school year!

Teacher Emeritus of Mathematics
Alamo Heights High School
San Antonio

Elizabeth.Warner@prca-tucson.org wrote:

> Tomorrow is the first day of school, and I just found out that I will have
> a student from China in class. They want me to assess him and make sure he
> is placed correctly. I don't even know what math looks like in China! Do
> any of you have recommendations on a language-neutral way to make an
> assessment?

> I had a student from Germany last year, and she had a very different
> understanding of trig ratios, which caused a lot of difficulties at first.
> I would like to avoid any issues like that. Are there any ways that math,
> algebra, precalc, etc are taught in China that I should be aware of?
> I hope there are a few experienced teachers out there who can help!
> Thanks!

> Elizabeth Warner

Course related websites:
To unsubscribe click here: