Topic: Square root of six
Replies: 21   Last Post: Aug 31, 2012 12:47 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Square root of six

I agree with your statement, that it is natural for students to ask how you find the square root, but I am not following why you think this method is better than Newton's? If the kids are of arithmetic age then I would use a guess and check method. This will be their first real experience with irrational numbers and interpolation exercises will inch them closer to a notion of real numbers. In your example though you seem to be using algebraic reasoning (which would be in an algebra class) and I think Newton's method is easier to explain (how it works), plus it is an actual algorithm (it can be programmed). There is not a lot of practical benefit from a square root algorithm (as Wayne suggested) but I think there are pedagogical benefits, and the question (how do you find the square root?) deserves an answer. I am not sure how this is the answer though.

Using your method, how would you find the square root of 12.643?

Bob Hansen