Topic: unable to prove?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Sep 18, 2012 3:54 PM

dilettante

Re: unable to prove?

"David C. Ullrich" <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:00:20 -0500, "dilettante" <no@nonono.no> wrote:
>

>>"Frederick Williams" <freddywilliams@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>> What is the set of _all_ subsets of a set X? If X is finite, the
>>> question is easily answered by listing them, but otherwise?

>> Are you channelling WM? Somehow that doesn't clear the matter up for me.
>>I thought my remarks would provoke more discussion. Perhaps no one has
>>anything to say about this, or perhaps not many read my posts. I suppose I
>>could remedy the latter by getting either crazier or nastier, or go the
>>arduous route of posting clever, interesting, and helpful stuff, but no -
>>I'll just stay my mostly sane, not too horribly nasty, boring self, and be
>>satisfied with the status quo.

> I read your post. I started thinking about a reply, came to the
> conclusion that explaining clearly why something is not clear
> to me would be difficult...
>
> Far from a complete answer: How can there be any
> confusion over the status of the power set of X?
> It's simply
>
> P(X) = {y : y subset X}.
>
> What could possibly go wrong with that? Well, the
> question is why there _is_ a _set_ S with the
> property that for every y, y is in S if and only
> if y is a subset of X.
>
> There's also no problem with
>
> R = {x : x is not an element of x},
>
> except of course there _are_ problems with that.

Right. Positing the existence of that set leads to a contradiction, so ZFC
and related systems bar the existence of such a set via the concept of
proper classes or something. I suppose it isn't known whether positing the
existence of the power set of the reals leads to a contradiction. Surely
also taking the existence of this set as an axiom doesn't do anything to
resolve CH (of course, as far as anyone knows - if it leads to a
contradiction it resolves everything, in a sense)? (Yes, that's a question)

> Not an answer, really, just an illustration of how
> it can be that things are much less clear than
> they seem at first.

Thanks nevertheless: it's nice to know that this isn't an easy thing to
explain, even for someone who knows a lot more mathematics than I do.