Topic: Square root of six
Replies: 21   Last Post: Aug 31, 2012 12:47 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Square root of six

I want to make sure that my points aren't twisted any further.

1. I am not against teaching CS in school, I am for it.
2. There is no trend, even an infinitesimally small one, towards treating CS and Math as the same.
3. There is no trend (period) towards re-defining SQL as math.

I looked up Riverdale High. They require 4 years of math. So I think to myself "Well maybe this is SQL and REGEX math like what Kirby keeps talking about." So I dig deeper and look up the state math assessments for Oregon and Riverdale in particular. I don't find SQL questions. I don't find REGEX questions. I find math questions. If we look at their class catalog, I don't even find a CS class. We do find a discrete class.

http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/site/Default.aspx?PageID=198

Finally, I have no problem at all with the Python / Discrete / Numerical Methods class at Phillips or at any school. I am all for it. I just point out the obvious when I say that you can't really start that up till after the student has conquered algebra. We have dealt enough in the past with the MYTH that it is magical to put students and computers together in a math class. When you do that too early you don't do justice to math or to CS. But after a student has successfully navigated algebra, geometry and a few elementary functions. Then they have enough foundation and reason to explore numerical methods. That doesn't rule out the use of a computer in the classroom occasionally, until you get to numerical methods. It does rule out SQL and web pages development.

Bob Hansen