Topic: Academically Selective Public Schools
Replies: 5   Last Post: Sep 9, 2012 6:03 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Academically Selective Public Schools

Wayne Bishop posted Sep 6, 2012 11:04 AM:

>Last night First Lady Michelle Obama gave a very moving >speech about both she and the President that was quite misleading in regard to their childhood opportunities. I knew that he was raised by his grandparents after he returned from Indonesia where, in spite of the struggles Michelle described, his grandmother had been a vice president with Bank of Hawaii already for 7 years. There, he was a student at one of the most prestigious private schools in Hawaii, Punahou (current tuition, subsidized by their sizable endowment, is $19,200 a year).
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madelyn_Dunham
>http://www.punahou.edu/page.cfm?p=1530

>What I did not know, is that her own precollegiate >education was also very different from what was being described. A Chicago public 7-12 school where 98% are admitted to four-year colleges? I did not know that there was such a school. I deeply believe that all districts with more than a few schools should have such a thing (a genuine opportunity for serious, academically-inclined students of any income level - Whitney High in our area, Stuyvesant or Bronx Science in New York, and the like). Ironically, liberal-minded public education leaders are deeply offended by such schools and work for their demise or, in their words, to not be so >discriminatory against underrepresented minorities (such >as Michelle Obama).
>
>Wayne

<snip>
RIGHT! Got that!

So - what to do?

Here's What:

1) Throw them out!
2) Get the Romney-Ryan ticket in!
3) Put the 'Education Mafia' in jail!
4) BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!

THAT will solve the problems of US education!

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")