Topic: Unions Under Siege
Replies: 3   Last Post: Sep 12, 2012 2:44 AM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Unions Under Siege

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Those damned conservatives, Barack Obama and Rahm Emmanuel!
> Public education has collapsed...

Fact: So-called merit pay and wanting to kill tenure are ideas of conservatism, not progressivism, and these conservative ideas are sometimes promoted by progressive-leaning moderate politicians who do not know any better as to what actually would work.

Fact: The present Chicago mayor and the present US president are not progressives - they are merely progressive-leaning moderates. In fact, it's well known among progressives that Obama was caught saying that he considered himself a blue-dog Democrat and not a progressive, which explains why he has not pushed for progressive ideas even when he had 60 democrats in the US Senate. (To see a progressive truly at work as a progressive - one who will not shill for a Democratic politician just because he/she is a Democrat, see the TV show by Cenk Uygur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenk_Uygur
on the cable TV network Current TV. Only on that show will one see the truly progressive viewpoint put forth, and how Obama has not governed at all as a liberal or progressive.)
Because of this, he will not get the turnout among his base this time around that he got in 2008, although it will not be as much of a collapse of the Democratic base's turnout as it was in 2010. The turnout in 2008 among those who have progressive views (like young Democratic voters) was very high because so many of us who are progressives thought that according to what he was actually saying we were getting a return to the great progressive Presidents of the mid 20th century, finally after two moderates in Carter and Clinton.

Fact: The US public school system has not collapsed, not even close. In fact, we see the opposite when we dig beneath the surface to see what is going on:

(1) For instance, when we correct for demographics, we see that US white students score as well or better on international tests like TIMSS and PISA than the white students of just about every other country on the planet, US black students score as well or better on international tests like TIMSS and PISA than the black students of just about every other country on the planet, and so on. The reason the overall scores are not as high on these tests as they could be in comparison to some other countries is because in all countries, the scores by each segment of non-East-Asian non-white students are significantly lower and because the percentage of the US student population of this much lower scoring overall population segment is much higher than it is in those countries that have overall higher scores than the US.

(2) And because of the success of advanced math education in the US public school system, the US now has roughly 5% of its entire high school senior aged population (and this includes all those not in school or in vocational schools or whatever) take *and* pass a national calculus exam covering an entire year of high school calculus. Very few countries on the entire planet - regardless of the ethnic demographic of the country's student population - could say that they have an advanced math education system that yields this high a percentage of the its entire high school senior aged population that could take *and* pass a national calculus exam covering an entire year of high school calculus. And when we look at only those US high school students that actually completed calculus classes that actually were certified by the AP Calculus testing body to follow the AP Calculus guidelines, we see these students scoring very much higher on advanced international tests than those advanced students of all other countries taking the tests.

Here is a post I gave recently outlining some of all these facts above - this post contains many citations and links to these citations:

"Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?"