Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » Education » math-teach

Topic: Re: Position Announcement: Univ. of Alabama
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 12, 2012 1:10 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
GS Chandy

Posts: 7,754
From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Position Announcement: Univ. of Alabama
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 10:27 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Haim posted Sep 12, 2012 5:51 PM:
> Lou Talman Posted: Sep 12, 2012 1:29 AM
>

> >He would probably have those who disagree with him
> put
> >to death. Just like any other "UNDISPUTED
> ADMINISTRATOR".
> >
> >And then he would notice that those of ethnicities

> other
> >than his own disagree with him.
>
> Lou,
>
> I hope you are a better mathematician than you are
> are a mind reader. In fact, I hope you are a better
> mathematician than you are a reader, since you seem
> to have entirely missed the point of the "Position
> Announcement" thread. Allow me to recap.
>
> The Education Mafia think multiculturalims is a
> s a peachy idea, and they want to promote it where it
> does not already exist. This is an idea whose merits
> can be questioned. I question them.
>

Practically every idea can be questioned, Haim. As follows:

1. Just who or what are these 'Education Mafia' that you want to put into jail?

2. Your claim that they have a secret Mission to destroy US (public/all/??) education. Demonstrate this: it is NOT proven that there is any 'secret society' out to destroy US education or any part of it.

3. You claim that this putative 'Education Mafia' of yours thinks that "multiculturalism is a peachy idea and they want to promote it where it does not exist".

I claim, on the other hand, that - with possible rare exceptions such as some Eskimo tribes, Hottentot pigmies, and the like - there are in fact NO 'monocultural societies' in existence today. If there are, they are likely well on the way to extinction: there is no denying the fact that cultures meet and marry and mix - this cannot be prevented; we might as well accept this ineluctable fact of cultural life and learn how best to live with it. Those who issue strident calls against 'multiculturalism' (and all that it implies) are like King Canute standing against the waves.
>
> In his inimitable style, Chandy brings up an
> an entirely different question: what to do about
> multiculturalism when you already have it? I wish
> him a lot of luck with that problem.
>
> Haim
> Shovel ready? What shovel ready?
>

Yes - we in India do have a multicultural society (which is ****impossible**** [emphasis] to undo), and we have to learn to live with it. Just as you in the USA do have the issue of learning how to co-exist with the black minority there.

On the whole, we in India seem to be managing to do just that (learning to live with 'multiculturalism'), though there certainly are breakdowns every now and then, such as happened in India lately on the issue of 'north-easterners' inhabiting places outside N-E India. We seemed to be resolving this 'N-E issue', by and large.

Just as you in the USA seem to be learning to live with most of your minorities (with rare exceptions such as Haim and jk@israeliteknight.com and their cohorts and consorts).

It just has to be done. There is no other way: we might as well all learn how to do it gracefully.

I do question ****your**** [emphasis] inimitable motivations in bringing up the issue at all.

In your utterly inimitable fashion, you seem to have missed the single major point I've been making on this issue ever since when.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")



Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.