Topic: Many in Massachusetts are unprepared for college
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 27, 2012 7:17 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Many in Massachusetts are unprepared for college

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Shop classes went away for one reason and one reason only: the Education Mafia goal of "College for All".

No, it was because the parents including all those conservative parents wanted college for their kids.

The proof that those evil liberals are not the reason is to look at all those many thousands of the most conservative school districts all over the country, where what you call the mafia has no control at all. They all got rid of those shop classes.

But I repeat: The US has never had a vocational high school system as they do in Europe, where 1/2 to 2/3 of all high school students are in vocational high schools covering on the order of 100 different vocations, not academic high schools. Those shop classes in the US were just that - a couple of classes here or there in academic high schools, where only a tiny minority ever took them. It was understood even then by all that only those who didn't have the wherewithal to handle the academics took those classes. There was never in the US a vocational high school system designed such that it was considered respectable for even the so-called smart kids to eschew the academic high schools route and go the vocational high school route.

And so we see that this attitude against such a vocational high school system in the US where even many of the smart kids would partake has always been there in even the most conservative families and schools district - in the US it is a deep-seated cultural attitude that has always been held in even the most conservative families and school districts.