Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 3, 2012 1:04 AM

Dixie Ross

RE: [ap-calculus] Angst in AP Calculus AB

NOTE:
and post messages there.
Have you made all of the support structures and safety nets for your class apparent to the students?

In my class, students can correct quizzes and retake tests provided they have shown effort to prepare. There is an eligibility waiver if they fail. There are ample opportunities for extra tutoring. I also allow an extra credit project for those who might need it (again, for those who have been exerting effort.)

dixie

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Reid [mailto:dsreid64@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:43 AM
To: AP Calculus
Subject: [ap-calculus] Angst in AP Calculus AB

NOTE:
This ap-calculus EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Calculus Teacher Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started
and post messages there.
If you are interested in the challenges facing new AP Calculus teachers, especially those at school where mathematics is viewed solely as a procedural exercise, read on.

Angst in AP Calculus AB
Posted on September 8, 2012

Three weeks into our 2012-2013 school year, several of my AP Calculus AB students remain deep in the throes of AP angst. Fortunately, there are several that accept the new challenge calculus presents to them, while others are waiting to see if they will attain a state of certainty, knowing they will succeed in the class.

Unlike last year, when student anxieties and concerns took me by surprise in my first foray into AP, I took preemptive efforts over the summer to lower the chances of a repeat this fall. However, in spite of the one-week AP boot camp I ran in June, and the atypical AP summer work assigned, student worries started to increase the second week of school. My principal anticipated this more so than I, which gave me some solace when students started to grumble. Nonetheless, I still worried that a repeat of last year was on the horizon.

Read more at: http://mathequality.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/angst-in-ap-calculus-ab/

Dave
Willow Glen High School

Teaching:
- AP Calculus AB (2 sections)
- Algebra 1 (2 sections)
- Math Lab / Algebra Intervention (1 section)

---
To search the list archives for previous posts go to http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-calculus

---