Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 11   Last Post: Oct 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: The Prime Directive

I read it already and in

"Re: The Prime Directive"

with lots of citations explained how they are wrong.

They - and everyone who says what they say like you - need to explain
why they/you totally ignore what happens after age 15 - the data they
use is not advanced math test data and it is from test data for ages
13 and 15.

That is:

They - and everyone who says what they say like you - need to explain
how having 5% of the entire high school senior aged population taking
*and* passing a national AP Calculus exam is not a large enough pool
right then and there to be "competitive" with all these other
countries they/you claim we are not competitive with when these other
countries all or almost all cannot match this 5%. (Never mind that the
higher and much higher percentages I explained in my post above with
respect to how many before graduating take AP Calculus and take the
test, take AP Calculus regardless of taking the test, take calculus
that is AP or not, and take advanced math that is calculus or not.
Percentages that all or almost al or countries cannot match.)

And also they/you need to explain why you ignore what I talked about
in my above post, the dynamics of the free market, which is that
because of better chances for better pay from majoring in something
other than a STEM major causes so many of these US students who are
more than math-trained well enough to major in STEM majors *choose* to
not do so.

On this last point: These majors that promise better chances for
better pay include those many majors offered by business schools such
as areas of finance as well as management training such that they can
end up being in management positions being the bosses of those who
were STEM majors, as well as many other such majors like advertising
and such. Smart kids are smart enough to pay attention to where the
money is. Look at those like Mitt Romney and their many millions vs.
some typical grunt slaving away at moderate wages in some cubicle
writing programs, a mere cog in a machine.