Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 11   Last Post: Oct 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: The Prime Directive
att1.html (5.8 K)

On Oct 2, 2012, at 7:40 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not relevant to the question, which is whether the US is
> graduating enough people each year trained in math well enough to
> major in a STEM major.

Major? Or find gainful employment? As to the later, they are not. And it isn't the recession, in fact there isn't a recession in most STEM fields, especially the IT fields, yet we struggle for 6 months to fill positions with qualified applicants. There are a couple of factors at play, the shortage and because of that shortage, salaries are in the 6 figures. Good for qualified STEM workers, not so good for the country in my opinion.

From wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa#Changes_in_the_cap_and_number_of_applications_received

During the early 1990s, the cap was rarely reached. By the mid-1990s, however, the allocation tended to be filled each year on a first come, first served basis, resulting in new H-1Bs often being denied or delayed because the annual cap had already been reached. In 1998, the cap was increased to 115,000. The cap was increased to 195,000 for FY 2001, FY 2002 and FY 2003.

In FY 2004, the cap reverted to 90,000 when the temporary increase passed by Congress in 1999 expired. A yearly "shortfall" in available visas arose beginning in the mid 2000s, despite the temporary increase in the yearly cap.[9]

In its annual report on H-1B visas, released in November 2006, USCIS stated that it approved 131,000 H-1B visas in FY 2004 and 117,000 in FY 2005.[citation needed] For FY 2007, with applications accepted from April 1, 2006, the entire quota of visas for the year was exhausted within a span of less than 2 months on May 26, 2006,[10] well before the beginning of the financial year concerned. The additional 20,000 Advanced Degree H-1B visas were exhausted on July 26.

For FY 2008, the entire quota was exhausted before the end of the first day on which applications were accepted, April 2.[11] Under USCIS rules, the 123,480 petitions received on April 2 and April 3 that were subject to the cap were pooled, and then 65,000 of these were selected at random for further processing.[12] The additional 20,000 Advanced Degree H-1B visas for FY 2008 was exhausted on April 30.

In FY2008, a total of 276,252 visa applications (initial, renewals and extensions) were approved. In FY2009 that number decreased slightly to 214,271[13] and 110,367 initial H-1B visas were issued from consular offices.[14]

For FY 2009, USCIS announced on April 8, 2008 that the entire quota for visas for the year had been reached, for both 20,000 Advanced and the 65,000 quota. USCIS would complete initial data entry for all filing received during April 1 to April 7, 2008 before running the lottery.[15]

For FY 2010, USCIS announced on December 21, 2009, that enough petitions were received to reach the year cap.[16]

For FY 2011, USCIS announced on January 27, 2011, that enough petitions were received to reach the year cap on January 26.[17]

For FY 2012, USCIS announced on November 23, 2011, that enough petitions were received to reach the year quota on November 22.[18]

For FY 2013, USCIS announced on June 12, 2012, that enough petitions were received to reach the year cap on June 11.[19]

Bob Hansen