Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 11   Last Post: Oct 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: The Prime Directive
att1.html (4.3 K)

On Oct 2, 2012, at 10:36 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> You talked about scores of 13 year old and 15 year old kids on general
> math tests as if it's relevant to whether the US is graduating enough
> people OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL each year trained in math well enough to
> major in a STEM major if they CHOOSE to.

I am sticking to the issue. Majoring is not the criteria to be good enough in something to find gainful employment. College may have been a filter of such things long ago but not now. Are you not following the discussion on the Algebra 2 Exam thread? The consensus seems to be that asking students to solve problems on a math assessment is verboten. I suppose that journalism majors should not be tasked with writing interesting stories. Don't you get it? College has lost its vocation and high school right after it.

Graduating enough students to major in a stem field in our colleges is not the point. In fact, that isn't even saying anything. Graduating enough students to compete with the world is the point. On this point we are doing very poorly and this comes from first hand experience with the men and women from other countries. First hand experience that I did not have 30 years ago yet now I have loads of.

Bob Hansen