Topic: Solving Transcendental Equations ~ sin(x)/x
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 26, 2012 5:17 AM

Torsten

Re: Solving Transcendental Equations ~ sin(x)/x

On 11 Okt., 06:33, ehahn <oftenh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> syms y;
> >> p=0;
> >> k = -2*pi;.01:2*pi;
> >> s='P*sin(y*a)/(y*a)+cos(y*a)=cos(x*a)';
> >> solve(s)

> Warning: Explicit solution could not be found.
>

> > In solve at 169
>
> ans =
>
> [ empty sym ]
>
> Hi all, I am trying to solve this transcendental eqn for a class project. I only know Matlab basics and I am having trouble figuring out what is not working.
>
> Ideally I would solve this for p = [0 3*pi/2 3*pi/10 1000] and then plot(x,y)
>
> Thanks for any help
> -Eric
>
> --http://compgroups.net/comp.soft-sys.matlab/

You defined the equation as
'P*sin(y*a)/(y*a)+cos(y*a)=cos(x*a)';
What is known ? What are you trying to solve for ?

E.g. if you are simply trying to solve for x, it is given by
x = acos(P*sin(y*a)/(y*a)+cos(y*a))/a.

Best wishes
Torsten.