Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 13, 2012 4:25 PM

Ray Chaudhuri

RE: [ap-calculus] Going crazy

NOTE:
and post messages there.

Dear all,
This is a nice problem.
I did this way.. hope it is right.
Let y = mx + c be the common tangent to both parabolas y=x^2 and y=-x^2+2x-5
solving : mx + c = x^2 , but since it is a tangent , one root , hence Discriminant = 0 which gives , m^2 = -4c
For the second equation , mx + c = =-x^2+2x-5, using same logic , we get (m-2)^2 = 4( c+5)
solving this and using the info ..m^2 = -4c , we get a neat quadratic eqn m^2 -2m -8 =0 can be factorised into (m-2) ( m+2) = 0 which gives m= -2, 4 , so c = -1 , -4.
so the common tangents are y = -2x -1 and y = 4x -4
Thanks a bunch for this. I willchallenge my IBHL students with this.
All the best
Madhab