Topic: Symposium - Growth and Success of "mathe 2000"
Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 27, 2012 2:35 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Symposium - Growth and Success of "mathe 2000"

Well, that, of course. But, as the been doing for the last 2-3
decades, my old advice remains appropriate. If you, as an employer,
need someone competent in these areas, hire Asian. Replace "hire"
with "recruit" if you have responsibilities regarding new students
for your college or university, especially at the postgraduate
level. I've probably told this before because it's been about 15
years since my son was a PhD in chemistry at Princeton and was
telling me about the talk he was going to give at a big-gun biology
conference on the work of his team of students working under the same
professor. I asked him how he was chosen to give the talk for the
group and he said with some self-deprecating humor but too much
truth, "Because I speak English."

Why a biology conference? Because a deep knowledge of pure chemistry
is required for understanding the fundamental processes of
biology. He was also amused at the fact that he had (has) never
taken a biology class after high school. However, he did learn to
read and to "math". You know, that highly misleading, monkey-see,
monkey-do, directly taught stuff that shows up so easily
traditional standardized tests.

Wayne