Topic: Re: In Defense of the NRC's "Scientific Research in Education'"
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 1, 2012 6:42 AM

Alain Schremmer

On Nov 1, 2012, at 1:29 AM, Clyde Greeno @ MALEI wrote:

> I am a bit confused by Schremmer's "only" [ in (2)] ... since there
> would seem to be other ways of using mathematical knowledge.

For reference, here is the sentence:

(2) [...] the result of the learning of mathematics can only appear in
the learning of further mathematics. Else we are not talking about
mathematics but whatever else.

Basically, what I had in mind is that:

a. Learning mathematics is like going to the gym in that it is self-
serving: The point of lifting 50 pounds is eventually to be able to
lift 60 pounds and, overall, to feel better one way or the other.

b. Differential equations are the first mathematics that truly has
applications. Any "use" before that is not a use of mathematics but
just contrived make-believes that we use to justify our salaries.

c. What my carpenter friends learned during their training is a bunch
of computational/graphical recipes that they indeed use a lot but is
not mathematics.

Regards
--schremmer