Topic: trouble saving data structure to a file
Replies: 7   Last Post: Nov 12, 2012 10:21 AM

Steven Lord

Re: trouble saving data structure to a file

"Ben Ruppel" <brspam@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
> The save command is driving me crazy. I am working in a GUI where I am
> storing some data variables in the handles data structure. I have
> collected the data I wish to export into a structure called
> handles.inputData. handles.inputData contains three structures, which are
> called A, B, C. Each of these contains several other structures and
> arrays.
> I want to export A, B, and C to a file, but I keep getting "The argument
> to -STRUCT must be the name of a scalar structure variable."
>
> I have a variable called "filename" which contains a path and name of an
> output file.
>
> The command: save(filename, '-struct', 'handles.inputData.A') does not
> work.

handles.inputData.A is not the name of a scalar structure variable. It is an
expression that when evaluated returns a scalar struct array. Those are two
different things.

> The command: save(filename, '-struct', 'handles.inputData') does not
> work.

Ditto.

> The command: save(filename, '-struct', 'handles') does work.

handles IS the name of a scalar struct array and so is acceptable for use
with the -struct flag.

> handles.inputData is confirmed to be a "1x1 struct" in the Variable Editor
> window.
>
> Can anyone help me understand what is going wrong here and show me how to
> save my structures?

D = handles.inputData;
save(filename, '-struct', 'D')

--