Topic: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Replies: 48   Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 2:24 PM

kirby urner

Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I personally believe Obama's win is 'potentially' a very good thing indeed for the US and for the world - for anyone who believes in the democratic rights of ALL people, everywhere (as against the undemocratic rights of the rich). Maybe - just MAYBE; no guarantees here!! - the US will now at last provide some much-needed world leadership in this direction.
>
> Admittedly, Obama has not by any means fulfilled the promise that he showed before his election - nor has he adequately fulfilled his promises made to the US and to the world before his election.

On many levels, US citizens have an extremely warped / distorted set
of expectations regarding the presidency. This is understandable in
light of a long history projecting ruling powers (supposedly divinely
infused) on royalty and courts, not that these don't actually have
power as switch board decision making organs (they do).

> I notice that another thread has deplored and found worrisome Obama's admission to being mathematically illiterate - though he was defended there to the effect that it was only in jest that he had admitted this. In jest or seriously - that IS surely a worrisome matter for the kind of leadership that the US can provide the world in the difficult years to come.
>
> GSC

It's the immaturity of the US citizenry that I struggle with (which
immaturity manifests in a scape goaty presidency).

The layer of fictional screenwriting is pretty thick and TV is an
effective teaching medium -- many consequences.

TV teaches passivity (the life of a go-to-work couch potato) until /
unless you learn to make TV yourself, in which case you watch with a
more critical eye, awake to the fictional aspects (less a sucker) and
interested in camera technique (more a "director's eye").

Ergo school should be a lot more about making, not just watching,
television (I use the word indistinctly, to cover video, film).

I know that sounds expensive, but on the contrary it's not up to
taxpayers to provide in many cases. I'm up for stacking all the
military costs directly on taxpayers as their primary liability as
citizens (the flip side of a Reaganesque position), and then seeing
what's left over. Could be that US taxpayers give 0.0 in foreign aid
once all military (including VA, pensions) are subtracted, and that
much education is borrowed not-revenue too. Paul will maybe run the
numbers for us.

Once military expenses, broadly interpreted, are subtracted from
net IRS revenue, what's left for taxpayers to take credit for? Do USA
citizens even pay for their own schools? Or is that China again?

Kirby

Date Subject Author
11/7/12
Read Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Wayne Bishop
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
[...]
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/12
[...]
Dave L. Renfro
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Domenico Rosa
11/12/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/13/12