Topic: NOVA on Easter Island rock statues; do they have a Logic editor at NOVA?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 9, 2012 10:30 PM

herbert glazier

Re: NOVA on Easter Island rock statues; do they have a Logic editor
at NOVA?

On Nov 8, 2:16 am, Archimedes Plutonium
<plutonium.archime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is obvious that the NOVA shows on PBS do not have a Logic editor,
> or ever had one, come to think of it. One would think that shows of
> science on TV would increase in quality compared to past shows.
> However, I suspect that the quality of shows of NOVA have steadily
> gone downhill, even without a Republican in the oval office.
>
> But let me just get to the brunt of this show, shown tonight. And
> usually I am never laughing during a science show, but intently
> absorbed not wanting to miss anything, but tonight I was almost
> laughing through it.
>
> This NOVA show was about several scientist, lacking in logic skills
> with their silly theory that they walked those huge and heavy rocks to
> their destination rather than rolled them on logs.
>
> Now the show was about a experiment test of seeing if they could walk
> the rocks upright. It had been shown years ago that such statues could
> be rolled along, but no, these scientists think those huge statues
> were walked along for 10 kilometers to their final destination.
>
> Now a real experiment would be to have two teams, the daffy walk
> upright team versus the team that log rolls the statue. And the
> question would be, can the walk team ever beat the log rolling time?
>
> One need not wonder why scientists so often have a bad name when you
> see NOVA shows like this.
>
> I have had personal experience in moving a real heavy log by means of
> logs of shortened telephone poles and a heavy cast iron bathtub using
> the same method. So log rolling really does work.
>
> Why did not any volunteer or even the camera crew in this NOVA show
> ask the obvious question. How long would it take for a typical log
> rolling of a statue, versus a walking upright of the statue? I would
> guess that if the statues were about 10 kilometers from the final
> resting site, that log rolling would take about a week, whereas if
> they walked the statue it would take months, and the safer, less risky
> method is the logrolling.
>
> So, the logical questions about these statues is not really how they
> were transported, for it is obvious to anyone that the transport would
> be the fastest and safest means, not the slowest and risky means. So
> the real important question was how they managed to lift erect one of
> these statues? The only key question is how they lifted erect and how
> difficult or easy that was. The logrolling is straightforward.
>
> Now I am not saying there was no "walking the statue", for there was a
> tiny bit of walking once the statue had been logrolled to the site and
> then the walking occurred for a few meters to its final resting place.
>
> Now, as for the eyes not yet carved out until it was finally put in
> place. Well, that maybe because they wanted some special significance
> of worship for the eyes, whether full eyes or of a different color.
>
> And as for the slanted bottom, that would favor the logrolling theory
> so that at the final site it would be
> [...]

In old days man took great pride in moving large stones. We took great
pride in getting to the moon(big rock) GOPes like Annenberg and Nixon
took this pride and cashed it in for $$$$$$ TeBet