Topic: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Replies: 34   Last Post: Dec 1, 2012 10:56 AM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

"Zuhair" <zaljohar@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:86a85cce-2a84-4c9f-b860-527958274b50@o8g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

> Let a_0 = x_0
> Let b_0 be the first entry in (x_n) such that b_0 > a_0.
> Let a_i+1 be the first entry in (x_n) such that a_i < a_i+1 < b_i.
> Let b_i+1 be the first entry in (x_n) such that a_i+1 < b_i+1 < b_i.

In Cantor's proof a_{i+1} and b_{i+1} are the two first entries encountered
(in any order) in (x_n) *after* the entries corresponding to a_i and b_i.
This does not seem to be the case with your proof, where it instead seems
that entries are just picked every time restarting from the beginning of
(x_n).

Could you clarify? I'd like to be sure before I proceed reading it...

-LV

Date Subject Author
11/12/12
Read Cantor's first proof in DETAILS