Topic: The Education Mafia Speaks
Replies: 12   Last Post: Nov 20, 2012 3:25 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: The Education Mafia Speaks

Haim posted Nov 15, 2012 5:45 PM:
> >But nearly 30 years after the alarming federal
> report "A
> >Nation at Risk," not one major urban district has
> been
> >turned around.
>
> So, Columbia University Teachers College is the ...

<snip>
> In short, Mr. Levine argues that American public
> lic education is failing us, he blames parents and,
> based on a fictional story (the movie, "Won't Back
> Down"), he strongly recommends a course of action
> that cannot possibly work. In other words, Arthur
> Levine's essay is a highly sophisticated argument for
> exculpating the guilty, blaming the victim, and
> continuing the status quo.
>
> Honestly, does any sentient person in this forum
> rum not think putting this man in jail would serve a
> higher justice?
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation

It is true enough that Mr Levine's recommendations are largely an exercise in futility - there is very little indeed in his essay (as quoted by Haim in his post) that can be practically used to improve US education, alleviate its deficiencies (if such be the purpose of the exercise).

[However, there is at least a grain of truth in Mr Levine's plaint: "At the same time, it is critical to recognize that school districts can't perform miracles. They can't overcome the tolls of poverty and poor housing, but they can close gaps"].

All-in-all, much of Mr Levine's article reminds me of a couple of other famous (and equally worthless) recommendations such as:

- -- "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"

- -- "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (I acknowledge that Professor Bishop has kindly clarified that this slogan was actually given to him by someone else. But he keeps repeating this worthless recommendation!)

There are definitely some tiny grains of truth in other things that Haim and the good Professor Dr Bishop argue - namely, that "education (in general) is doing much less than it should to prepare students for the challenges they will face".

However, in putting up these ridiculous slogans they do nothing whatsoever to advance the cause of education - they are in fact far more destructive than the 'Education Mafia' and the 'Schools of Education' that they decry.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - and with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused; and with the suggestion that all this tedium is EASILY averted by the simple expedient of refraining from opening any message that is purported to originate from GSC)