Topic: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 16, 2012 10:32 PM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

"LudovicoVan" <julio@diegidio.name> writes:

> "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlayson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>> <http://www.tiki-lounge.com/~raf/finlayson_injectrationals.pdf>
>
> I'll see if I can understand it: for now, thanks for sharing.

A first step is to remove the indexes from the irrationals. In a
argument about the supposed countability of the irrationals, to refer to
them with indexes (e.g. p_i) looks like begging the question.

As it happens, I don't think the indexes do anything but add a layer of
confusion. I think you can rename the various quantities without
altering the meaning, i.e. rather than talk about irrationals p_i and
p_h just use p and r (q is taken).

--
Ben.