Topic: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 17, 2012 2:29 PM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlayson@gmail.com> writes:

> The rationals are dense in the reals. So are the irrationals,
> nowhere-continuous, everywhere-dense, whose complement in the reals is
> each other: given those properties, they're indistinguishable.
>
> There's a contradiction either way - where the construction of the
> proof emphasizes one way, in vacuo, it's a plain claim.
>
> Then, there are reasonable definitions about our continuum of real
> numbers, to establish the standard and here extra the standard, where,
> the proof-theoretic constructs of the standard, do admit their own
> incompleteness.
>
> The conscientious mathematician is interested in the limits of the
> standard. Yes, the classical is perfect in the meso-scale, and as we
> know, there's more to it than that, for the grandest and most sublime
> of scales.
>
> Empty, it's as well a contradiction.

Did this honestly make any sense to you when you typed it?

Does it now?

--
"...you are around so that I have something else to do when I'm not
figuring something important out. I was especially intrigued on this