Topic: Subscript on plus expression
Replies: 16   Last Post: Dec 3, 2012 3:18 AM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Subscript on plus expression

On 11/18/2012 3:03 AM, Dave Snead wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mathematica fails to parenthesize the a+b in
> Subscript[Plus[a,b],k]
>
> so the output looks identical to
> Plus[a,Subscript[b,k]]
>
> Is this a bug?
> Is there an option to force the parentheses?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave Snead

Actually, just typing

(a+b)

and then hitting ENTER will result in

a+b

i.e. the () are gone. Same effect you showed.

It might be because subscript are meant to be applied to an atomic symbol
and not combined expression like a+b. I do not know. I am not even sure
what (a+b)_k is supposed to mean, math wise. Is this meant to
be on the code or in a text cell? If it is in the code itself,
how will it be used?

--Nasser