Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 23, 2012 10:25 AM

JohnF

Re: Simple random number generator?

Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> wrote:

>> Would be the digits of e, pi, et al?
>> If that's the case, no need for fancy pyooter algorithms?
>>
>> Inneresting article on pi, randomness, chaos.
>> http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/pi-random.html

> Is it not the case that the digits of e, pi et al. can't strictly
> be random, if it is only because they are highly compressible? I.e.
> because there small, compact formulas that spit out as many digits as you
> want in a completely deterministic way?

That's exactly the viewpoint of Kolmogorov complexity theory (also
called algorithmic complexity), already highly formalized, very easily
google-able, primarily developed by (Kolmogorov and) G.J.Chaitin.
Sounds like you read about it at some point, and subsequently forgot
the source.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )