Topic: to increase number of digits after decimal place in MATLAB
Replies: 3   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 7:02 PM

dpb

Re: to increase number of digits after decimal place in MATLAB

On 12/9/2012 12:44 PM, gouri halde wrote:
> How you can increase precision of answer (a number) in MATLAB? Actually
> I have to generate a chaotic time series using certain chaotic map. I
> got the series values but all of them are the same. I think if I could
> increase the number of digits after the decimal point I may get the
> minute variation in the series values.I am getting a precision of 4. For
> a perfect chaotic series I should have (may be)at least equal to 8. I am
> having a 64 bit operating system.

At the command line

format long % doc format

NB internal precision is double by default so there are roughly 15 bits
of precision it's only the display that is shortened for (usually)
convenience.

If you need the results in text other than at command window,

doc fprintf % and friends

and use format string as desired...