The Math Forum

Topic: Matheology § 177
Replies: 3   Last Post: Dec 14, 2012 12:12 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 177

In article
<1b8d5171-c5a1-4e01-b477-0b99eefa416d@f17g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Matheology § 177
>
> {{I have often denied any benefit of the distinction between countable
> and uncountable. But the advantage for this particular application
> cannot be overlooked:}} English nouns are often described as
> "countable" or "uncountable".
> http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/nouns-un-countable.htm

With a totally different meaning than the mathematical one.
Countable nouns like
€ dog, cat, animal, man, person
€ bottle, box, litre
€ coin, note, dollar
€ cup, plate, fork
€ table, chair, suitcase, bag
refer to things which we usually assume a count (number) for

uncountable nouns like
€ music, art, love, happiness
€ advice, information, news
€ furniture, luggage
€ rice, sugar, butter, water
€ electricity, gas, power
€ money, currency
refer to things which we usually con't assume a count (number) for