Topic: fom - 01 - preface
Replies: 4   Last Post: Dec 12, 2012 11:08 PM

Virgil

Re: fom - 01 - preface

In article
<96f1f2f2-8761-42cc-a029-a215b21dd108@i1g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 12 Dez., 18:51, Alan Smaill <sma...@SPAMinf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> > A bad translation; it's not the domain that is real, but the numbers:

> You agree that the numbers are real? But you do not agree that these
> numbers are real numbers? Remarkable.
>

> >    "The first number-class (I) is the set of finite integers

> And you have already forgotten that finite integers are real numbers?

The non-negative integers may well be only cardinalities, which will not
be simultaneously real numbers in any context where most real numbers
are nonsensical, such as in counting.
One cannot have pi people or any other non-natural number of people,
other than 0 if your notion of N excludes 0.

So in counting contexts, the results of a count will always be counting
numbers, i.e., 0's or naturals, and will not be= integers, nor
rationals, nor reals or complexes, nor quaternions, nor anything else.