Topic: Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 15, 2012 2:11 PM

Greg Goodknight

On 12/15/2012 05:54 AM, Haim wrote:
> Greg Goodknight Posted: Dec 14, 2012 5:27 PM
>

>> There is no limit to what you can find to be unreadable
>> when you've set your mind to it. I also found the Bishop
>> and Milgram defenses to be both readable and compelling,
>> and the petition campaign to be defamatory at its core.
>> It appears to me Ms. Boaler just isn't used to being
>> subjected to effective criticism, preferring the 'pal
>> review' prevalent in Ed circles.

> You can say that again.
>
> However, to be perfectly clear, the failure of the Education Mafia in the give and take of real criticism does not arise out of their inability to understand the function of criticism. They reject criticism because they are not scientists. They are social engineers, and they use the form of science to mask their real intentions which are purely political.
>
> In other words, it is not they who do not understand what they are doing. They understand it all too well.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. Anyone with a sufficient religious
zeal will have enough of a confirmation bias that all evidence to the
contrary is discarded and all confirming evidence accepted without
reservations. Those arrayed against them have impure motivations with a
touch of evil so it's OK to reject and attack them even when they have
defensible criticisms.

I fully expect Ms.Boaler has a vision of mathematics power for all, and
there just isn't room for traditional math education approaches in her
vision. Or traditional mathematicians.

- -Greg