Topic: Array of array
Replies: 14   Last Post: Dec 29, 2012 12:23 PM

dpb

Re: Array of array

On 12/25/2012 8:14 PM, CHINEDU wrote:
> Hi friends,
> Please kindly assist me with an answer to this question:
>
> Is it possible to create a Matlab array whose elements are in turn 3
> element arrays?

Sure...

> I mean, how can I create an array as A = {(1,2,2), (3,2,1), (5,3,4),
> etc}. If possible, how do I access the elements of this array. If not,
> could this be possible in Fortran?

Almost there...just have to use [] for the arrays inside the cell array
curlies...

>> A = {[1,2,2], [3,2,1], [5,3,4]}
A =
[1x3 double] [1x3 double] [1x3 double]

To address element contents, use them as well...

>> A{2}(3)
ans =
1
>> A{:}
ans =
1 2 2
ans =
3 2 1
ans =
5 3 4
>> A{1}
ans =
1 2 2
>> A{1}(2)
ans =
2

As a native structure, Fortran doesn't support cell arrays. You could
do something similar w/ user-defined types and allocatables but they
would look more like structures in Matlab than directly mimicking cell
arrays.