Topic: Distinguishability argument x Cantor's arguments?
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jan 9, 2013 4:32 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Distinguishability argument x Cantor's arguments?

On 9 Jan., 00:15, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <99114492-6fad-4ac1-a30e-ff70224ad...@c14g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > On 8 Jan., 14:44, mstem...@walkabout.empros.com (Michael Stemper)
>
> > > However, ANY real can be distinguished from ANY other by SOME finite
> > > initial segment of its decimal, or other base, representation.

> > The problem is not distinguishing given reals, but how reals can
> > uniquely by *given*. That requires a finite definition. But I am
> > afraid that you don't even understand what that means.

> A set is determined by any rule for distinguishing whether a test object
> is or is not a member.

A real number is determined or "given" by a unique word. Otherwise it
could not be used. And it was not possible to compare some finite
initial segment of it with something else.

Regards, WM

Regards, WM