Topic: How to read stackexchange.math ?
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jan 20, 2013 7:28 AM

James Waldby

Re: How to read stackexchange.math ?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:36:44 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>

>> How do you read stackexchange.math.com (if you do)?
>> I estimate that there are about 30 postings per hour.

> 1) I should have said math.stackexchange.com
>
> 2) I see that one can in fact filter the postings
> by specifying eg "number-theory" in the search box.

Instead of typing "number-theory" (or whatever) in the
search box at top of page, click TAGS (in the Questions/
Tags/Users/Badges/Unanswered line) and type some letters
of a topic into the "Type to find tags:" box. As you type
more letters, the number of tags offered below the box
narrows down; when whichever topic is of interest appears,
click it, and a list of questions for that topic will
appear.

Also, when you are looking at a question, if you click one
of the tags below the question, or one of them at top right
of question, a list of questions for that topic will appear.
Same thing for tags in the Related Tags section of the
right-hand sidebar. If you specify multiple tags in a
search box you get a list of questions that carry all of
the tags. Eg,
<http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/prime-numbers+number-theory>

One can also subscribe to tags and receive emails or an email
digest for questions so tagged, but I didn't find it useful
when I did that, because of volume of traffic and delay due
to digest. YMMV.

--
jiw