Topic: How can I train SVM in Matlab, with svmtrain command, but for
more then 2 groups??

Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 15, 2013 7:48 AM

Alan Weiss

Re: How can I train SVM in Matlab, with svmtrain command, but for
more then 2 groups??

On 1/15/2013 2:22 AM, roshani.ade@raisoni.net wrote:
> On Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:32:31 PM UTC+5:30, Eizo wrote:
>> Hi
>> I was playing with the option to implement SVM in my OCR algorithm,
>> but when checking the SVM that Matlab has to offer I saw that it can
>> support only 2 groups training and classification ?
>> Am I am missing something ?
>>
>> I was using the svmtrain command, and tried to train it for 3 groups
>> (e.g. three characters.) and I got the error saying that svm train
>> support only two groups...
>>
>> Am I am missing something in the SVM implementation ? or it is really
>> that Matlab support only two groups, and when you want to implement
>> something bigger then that, like ocr for 10 characters (e.g. 10
>> groups) , matlab doesn't support that (at least in it's ready made
>> tool box).
>>
>> Thanks

Currently, SVM supports only binary (two-group) classification. However,
there are other Statistics Toolbox functions that support that support
multiple classes, such as discriminant analysis
http://www.mathworks.com/help/stats/discriminant-analysis.html
classification trees
http://www.mathworks.com/help/stats/classification-trees-and-regression-trees-1.html
nearest neighbor