Topic: How to read stackexchange.math ?
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jan 20, 2013 7:28 AM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: How to read stackexchange.math ?

On Jan 14, 7:26 pm, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> This stackexchange for math and mathoverflow seem much better than
> sci.math, or at least very good, focussed and on-topic.
>
> Yet, I don't see in them much controversial matter.  Not that there's
> anything wrong with that, but, there are controversies in foundations
> like "the universe would contain itself", or, "applications aren't
> found in analysis due regular set-theoretical foundations".
>
> Here stackexchange and mathoverflow seem better to fulfill the
> Question and Answer format, as they are so designed, though there is a
> ready audience here as well.  Then, with the Creative Commons license
> and copyright held by the authors for mathoverflow as read, and
> contributed to the commons for stackexchange as read, really what I
> wonder is how to have threaded conversations, on mathematics, with
> support for mathematical typesetting, and then the conversations to
> have reasonable attribution, and to be maintained in the copyright of
> the author.  Then as well the most valuable part of those communities
> is their members, here there's a consideration how to uplift those
> interested in a free-wheeling discussion on foundations, while having
> ready accessibility and varia.  So, I'm interested in a discussion
> forum, on mathematics, only moderated enough to have voted out in
> large numbers the totally off-topic.
>
> Then perhaps a notion is to simply post to sci.math with headers or
> tags that then a browser interface is readily built to read only those
> and on their threads.  Then the text could include math typesetting as
> is much nicer to read.
>
> From mathoverflow.net:  "ULTRAINFINITISM, or a step beyond the
> transfinite":  http://mathoverflow.net/questions/100981/ultrainfinitism-or-a-step-be...
>
> Large cardinals are yet regular (well-founded) cardinals.
>
> "Has the notion of space been reconsidered in the 20th century?":http://mathoverflow.net/questions/112629/has-the-notion-of-space-been...
>
> My question is as to whether "has the geometry of points and lines
> been considered as points filling a geometric space", with axioms of
> the points then space instead of points then lines.
>
> Hamkins writes an interesting paper on fundamentals.
>
> http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.4223
>
> Seeing again mentioned "regularity properties of projectively extended
> real numbers", I'm wondering how these projections of real numbers can
> see regularity, in the sense that they're regularly distributed and
> dense throughout a measure when, then, that would have a countable
> model and there would be regularity in the countable, and that
> projective extension would be modeled from upward by EF the
> equivalency function, and then it would be an exercise to accommodate
> ZF, or rather where it would not.
>
> Then that seems to be for development of infinite Ramsey and infinite
> anti-Ramsey theorems.
>
> The quality of comment on mathoverflow and stackexchange math is
> [...]

Well it is interesting to that while we have infinities as regular
transfinite ordinals, there are yet "ultra-infinitists" grappling with
those would-be paradoxes stemming from our fundamental objects of
discourse and comprehension, in universal quantification. So, there
at least is consideration of the mathematical truth of "ultra-
infinitism", in foundations.

The continuum of real numbers: everywhere between zero and one.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson