Topic: Don't Let Math Pull the Wool Over Your Eyes
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jan 15, 2013 9:49 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Don't Let Math Pull the Wool Over Your Eyes

Haim posted Jan 16, 2013 3:43 AM:

> MPG Posted: Jan 15, 2013 3:43 PM
>

> >No politics inform your criticism of education
> research
> >or practice, of course.
>
> Oh, my! But you have been gone a long time. I am
> am the guy who points out that when it comes to
> education issues, it is all politics all the time.
>
> Specifically, I have asserted that there are no
> no technical issues, whether in math education or
> gifted education or remedial education or, really, in
> any education field or practice. Everybody knows
> what to do and how to do it. In fact, that is the
> basis of "Haim's Challenge".
>
> You may recall that the issue comes up from time
> ime to time, why is there no technical discussion on
> pedagogy, math pedagogy or any other. Plainly, it is
> because there is nothing to discuss. Well, if there
> are no technical problems, what is driving the
> failure in education?
>
> All together now: It's the politics, stupid.
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

"What is driving the failure in education?"

Oh, my! You REALLY, TRULY want to learn the answer to your question?

May I suggest that some 'honest research' would surely get you all the answers you need to this important question. To do needed honest research, check out:
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 . (The attachments to the post indicate some practical tools that could help you do it, i.e., 'honest research'. I should note that these practical tools are not quite enough: you should also really, truly WANT to do it - this is crucial).

You may also obtain some insights by looking at:
http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8070310 which also contains some useful ideas about 'honest research'.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")