Topic: simplifying rational expressions
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 12:57 AM

Jose Joel Athayde

Re: simplifying rational expressions

"stony" <x@x.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Hi,
> Need a little help with this. We are simplifying the following, but
> the solution is pretty lengthy and messy because of the enormous
> number of factors. I was thinking that may be I am missing seeing a
> pattern (some series or something). Is grunt work the only way to
> solve this or is there a pattern that can simplify the whole process?
> My daughter was trying to solve this, but ended up with the mess and
> then I got the same mess, but I thought there may be an easy way to
> simplify this that I may be missing.
> ((b-c)/((a-b)(a-c))) + ((c-a)/((b-c)(b-a))) + ((a-b)/((c-a)(c-b))) +
> (2/(b-a)) - (2/(c-a))
> of course, I took all the factors in the denominator and then started
> multiplying the numerator with the remaining factors to end up with a
> mess.
> Your help is appreciated.

Hi Stony.

With the help of Google I've found this site:

http://www.quickmath.com/webMathematica3/quickmath/algebra/factor/basic.jsp

As I've seen, it works OnLine, so you'll get a solution immediately.
I hope this will help you.
Bye,