Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 18, 2013 9:58 PM

Ed Wall

Re: [math-learn] middle school math problems
att1.html (13.3 K)

Dennis

While I haven't taught middle school since 1995, some of these problems seem to call on knowledge which isn't in the repertoire of the average 8th grader and, in some cases, the average 9th grader. I'd be interested in what others, currently involved in middle school mathematics teaching, think.
Putting all that aside, these problems do seem accessible to a student who is versed in Algebra I and Geometry, so I'm wondering why you think them for advanced students (I don't say they aren't, by the way). Some of these problems do require some careful thinking and, perhaps, even more importantly an investment of solution time. Is this what you are pointing at?
I looked through the archives, by the way. The quality of problems vary as to difficulty and - this is a personal judgement - appeal. I wish I had known about it before as I teach course for teachers-to-be and some of the problems are nice. I rather liked the geometric construction in the original email as I just spent a semester grumbling about student performance on such.

Ed Wall