Topic: Calculating matrix permanent
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 4:29 PM

Virgil

Re: Calculating matrix permanent

In article
<3cd635d3-8c00-4c8f-b5b3-af9c45759521@v9g2000pbi.googlegroups.com>,
"Patrick D. Rockwell" <prockwell@thegrid.net> wrote:

> I've read how to calculate the permanent of a matrix,
> but I found the notation hard to understand so I'd
> Like a practical demonstration. For 2 by 2 matrices
> It's easy. For example, the permanent of
>

> 2 4
> 9 6
>
> Is 2*6+4*9=36+12=48
>
> But what about
>
> 5 3 1
> 8 2 4
> 7 9 6
>
> What is48 the permanent of the above matrix
> and how do you calculate it?

What you have calculated for your 2 by 2 matrix is its DETERMINANT,
not its "permanent".

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant

For more, including how tevaluate a 3 by 3 determinant.