Topic: Calculating matrix permanent
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 4:29 PM

Virgil

Re: Calculating matrix permanent

In article
<4491940f-6d2b-4afe-9a24-f2d1257a96c7@xm8g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
"Patrick D. Rockwell" <prockwell@thegrid.net> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 9:13 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <3cd635d3-8c00-4c8f-b5b3-af9c45759...@v9g2000pbi.googlegroups.com>,
> >  "Patrick D. Rockwell" <prockw...@thegrid.net> wrote:
> >

> > > I've read how to calculate the permanent of a matrix,
> > > but I found the notation hard to understand so I'd
> > > Like a practical demonstration. For 2 by 2 matrices
> > > It's easy. For example, the permanent of

> > >                      2 4
> > >                      9 6

> > > Is 2*6+4*9=36+12=48
> >
> > > But what about
> >
> > >                5 3 1
> > >                8 2 4
> > >                7 9 6

> > > What is48 the permanent of the above matrix
> > > and how do you calculate it?

> > What you have calculated for your 2 by 2 matrix is its DETERMINANT,
> > not its "permanent".
> >

> No, I believe that the determinate is
>
> 2*6-4*9 = -24
>

> > See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant
> >
> > For more, including how tevaluate a 3 by 3 determinant.
> > --

> The above article showed
> me how to do th 2 by 2 case
> but I just couldn't understand
> The notation for the rest of it.

Oops! You are right about its not being the determinant, but googling
for the permanent of a matrix will get you to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computing_the_permanent.
and over 30 million other mostly relevant URLs