Topic: My amateurview of math.
Replies: 27   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 2:56 AM

Scott Berg

Re: My amateurview of math.

"JT" <jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote in message

> To me it seem that the naturals are discrete in nature

naturals <=> nature
and they are wisely discrete when talking about other types of numbers

> and that zero
> really not a natural number or even a number.

zero is a natural number in the set of nonnegitive integers
zero is even

>Regarding infinity we
> can not have a view of something where we do not have a full set
> handwaving shouting infinity really do not help.

trivial, simply think what 1 / 0 means.

> For me each natural must be a continuum fractions is just a way to
> partition a discrete natural number.

tell me more......

> When we partition a single discrete entity of the naturals one realise
> that infinity is just the limit expressed.

that infinity or this infinity, or 100 times infinity ?

> The numberline is just a figment of imagination, where we imagine
> discrete entities lined up.

isn't all math non-physical ?

> We can take a cut anywhere to represent 7 so the set is a much better
> analogy to magnitudes then the numberline.

but 3 + 4 = 7 so how do you handle that?