Topic: My amateurview of math.
Replies: 27   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 2:56 AM

JT

Re: My amateurview of math.

On 1 Feb, 10:54, JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 Feb, 10:40, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>

> > On 1 Feb., 09:59, "christian.bau" <christian....@cbau.wanadoo.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> > > Go to your bathroom.
> > > Count how many elephants there are.
> > > How many? The answer is zero.

> > > If you watch an elephant leaving your bathroom, how many elephants are
> > > in the bathroom then?
> > > There were none, then one left, so now there are minus one elephants
> > > in your bathroom.

> > So -1 must ve a natural number too?
>
> > Regards, WM
>
> Well honestly i never understood the distinction for me there is only
> natural discrete counting entities used for counting, you can group
> them in sets and partition them in bases. And then there is fractions
> of naturals that you also can partition using bases, any fraction can
> use the form 1/x? But when you move to bases and partition the
> discrete natural you may find that values like 1/3 not possible to
> give a natural representation.
> But using zeroless base systems this awkward feature of the standard
> number system with unfinished digit expansions is gone.
>
> I think it is no more then 3 lines of code to erase it forever.

As i understand it the numberline can never be a continuum unless you
set a limit or range, and they will be finite. To me 0 and infinity
are abstracts representing the invisible elephant without a numerical
context they do exact not have magnituder nor numerical meaning.

The decimal numbers and numberline is infested with digits lacking
purpose.